perjantai 7. maaliskuuta 2014

Homo Mensura

Does a decent definition of humanism elude us as Jennifer Hancock claimed? Different people mean different things by humanism.

I define humanism as an idea that human is the measure of all things as put forth by Protagoras. I mean it as an epistemological, ontological, ethical and political view that one does not seek answers from a higher authority. That definition excludes belief in gods.

I define humanism more broadly than Stephen Law did because I would include all forms of Marxism like Stalin and Mao in humanism provided that they actually believed in Marxism and were not just psychopaths who used it as a tool.

Contrary to Stephen Law, I also consider humanism a speciesist idea because the etymology refers to human beings.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti